Tuesday, August 28, 2012

TEAR DOWN THESE WALLS? THE TFA STORY (1)



The Future Awards (TFA) 2012 have come and gone. Congratulations to all the nominees and the winners in all the various categories. The theme, as everyone knows, is used above in an attempt to capture what we were told is the essence of the awards. The way I understand it, the goal of the TFA since inception has been to celebrate young NIGERIAN achievers in the various sectors of living. Notice how I typed the Nigerian in uppercase? I did this because I believe that the awards were founded on a platform that was supposed to promote equity and fairness. My understanding of it is that the TFA was founded to celebrate Nigerians irrespective of their tribe, religion and social affiliations. Over the years, I have observed the TFA from afar and marveled at the extent to which it has become a platform through which outstanding young Nigerians have been recognized. I even hoped secretly that someday, a young entrepreneur like me would get the honor of winning such an award. However, in this year’s TFA (which happens to be the one, in about five years since I started following the event, that I actually have a personal relationship with some of the nominees), I have had reasons to doubt the sincerity of the very basis on which the TFA was founded. Personally, I have become disillusioned and disappointed in the organizers of the TFA for putting up the sloppy display of shamelessness and disorganization that they called the TFA in Port Harcourt, Rivers State. As much as many would consider the awards a success, many of the nominees will choose to agree otherwise as they were the ones that witnessed the show of disrespect.

In all of these, the saddening thing is that the theme chosen for this year’s TFA contrasted sharply with all the happening as I gathered from these shortlisted nominees. According to my sources, the 2012 TFA was shrouded in favoritism, lackadaisical attitude and acts of total disrespect for some of the nominees from other states apart from Lagos. Tales of abandonment, inhuman dealings and inconsideration for the plight of the respectable members of the Nigerian society who were totally sidelined by the organizers belittled what could have been a resounding success story for the TFA 2012. Many nominees who chose to share their plight with me told me of how they were abandoned in Lagos by the organizers despite that they were told to make themselves available in Lagos on Friday so a flight could be easily arranged for them to get to Port Harcourt in time for the event. Given that these people were nominated, and voted for, by Nigerians who appreciated their work and felt they deserved the award, the fact that they got unfair treatment by the organizers simply because they were relatively unknown sends a very strong message to Nigerians. Many Nigerians believed in them enough to nominate, and vote for, these people so they could be short-listed therefore these hardworking citizens should have been shown some modicum of respect by the organizers.

Even before all these, at the initial nomination stage, some of these relatively unknown nominees told me of their fears for the TFA. Many of them thought that the organizers already had anointed candidates whom they were tipping for the awards and that despite the nomination; these anointed candidates would still win in these categories. I tried to allay their fears by encouraging them to trust in the process because I believed that the people who are campaigning for a change in Nigeria’s status quo could not be involved in the same kind of behaviors they preach against. Needless to say, when the time came for flight arrangements to go wrong, most of the nominees who were affected were these relatively unknown ones while the so called anointed ones got to Port Harcourt on time for the event. Considering the “coincidence” above, many observers therefore opined that there was an underlying issue of credibility that the organizers of the TFA have not yet chosen to address. Many also feel that the event was taken to Rivers State in order that the PDP governor, who happened to be a friend of the organizers and who had offered to sponsor the event, could be portrayed in good light and that the relatively unknown nominees were intentionally left behind because the organizers couldn’t afford to have dissenting views. It also raises the question that, given that the organizers got travelling and hosting sponsorship for the TFA, why were these nominees left behind in Lagos because of, as the Executive Director told me when I asked on twitter, constraints of resources?.

My plan is to share their stories; for as many as are willing to let me share it, so that Nigerians can know how it all went down. I am going to share their stories one at a time so Nigerians can choose to decide for themselves who is on their side. I have many stories already but I have sent an email to the TFA organizers requesting answers to some of the questions that these nominees have. Many of them have chosen to be anonymous because they do not want to be perceived as bitter because they did not win. I am expecting that in about a week or so, the organizers will reply my email so I can share their side of the story as well. If they do not, I shall then proceed to share the stories of disregard, disrespect and contempt that the relatively unknown nominees have to tell as far as the 2012 TFA is concerned.

I rest my pen for a little while. Meanwhile, please join me in prayers that the organizers do the right thing.


N.B
Please, if you were a nominee and u have stories to tell about how you were treated; whether good or bad, please send it in an email to olumyking@gmail.com . Thanks a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment